Choose a state

Construction Work Regulated?

Who Regulates Construction?


NASCLA Exams State Business & Law Exam "A" Classification Exams "B" Classification Exams "C" Classification Exams National Exams

Construction Work Regulated?

The State of Nevada requires licensure for all aspects of commercial and residential
contracting. In addition to the state licensing requirements, counties and municipalities
may impose further requirements. Construction Managers are required to hold a
contractor's license.

Who Regulates Construction?

The Nevada State Contractors Board regulates the construction industry. License
applications may be obtained from either of the following:

Nevada State Contractors Board
2310 Corporate Circle, Suite 200
Henderson, NV 89074
(702) 486-1100/Fax (702) 486-1190


Nevada State Contractors Board
5390 Kietzke Lane, Suite 102
Reno, NV 89511
(775) 688-1141/Fax (775) 688-1271


An applicant for a license is required to establish financial responsibility, provide work references, establish good character, pass trade and construction management exams and provide a surety bond or cash deposit. Pool contractors are required to post a consumer-protection bond for the homeowner's protection. The Board limits the field and scope of a license by establishing a monetary limit and classifying the type of work that may be performed.

Applicants are required to provide a financial statement, submit fingerprints and are subject to a background investigation.

Additionally, 4 years of experience (obtained within the 15 years immediately preceding the filing of an application) as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee or contractor is required.

The Board administers the Residential Recovery Fund and provides financial assistance to single-family homeowners in certain cases. Financial assistance is limited to $40,000 per claim and $750,000 per contractor, or 20% of the fund balance, whichever is less. Contractors who engage in residential construction pay an assessment to the fund. The assessment is based on the monetary limit placed on the license.

Nevada's licensure by endorsement program provides for endorsement of an applicant's experience and/or completion of a trade examination from another state if that state has substantially similar requirements. Applicants must have been actively licensed in the endorsing state for the past 4 years. A State Equivalency Chart is
available on the Board's website.

Nevada has limited reciprocal agreements with Arizona, California and Utah. Nevada law provides for discipline, including revocation, of a Nevada contractor's license when that licensee has been disciplined in another state.

American Contractors Institute - NV